Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mayo Clinic Visit

 

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15, 2011

Mayo Clinic Visit-

Needle for accessing my PORT
I went to Mayo Hospital yesterday for some tests..... still looking at that hip. It was a year ago this month that I finished up my radiation treatments. One of the doctors told me yesterday that Mayo is building a new radiation department at the Hospital. He explained how the new system is so precise that it hits the tumor no matter what size at a 99.9% effectiveness rate, with no room for error. This is so awesome for the world of cancer.

Yesterday as I walked into the Mayo Hospital, I felt calm and at peace until ........ I stepped off the elevator onto the floor, the floor where it all goes down, you know what floor I mean? The chemo floor reeked of chemo smell and made me sick to my stomach; as I waited outside the door for my beeper to go off, I was pacing and remembering and wishing Tamy was there to help me "get over" this panic attack I was having. I mean, seriously? It's been over a year since I've been done with chemo, yet I am sick every time I get there. When I walked into the room, I immediately saw a young girl undergoing chemo treatments. She could not have been more than 16-17 years old. My heart started to race as I sat across from her and watched her being injected with that RED dragon. The nurse took my vitals and said I needed to calm down; I thought to myself, "I wish I could, I really wish I knew a way to do that" She accessed my port, took my blood, and I was outta there. When I got to my car, I had to take a deep breath and remember where I'd been, how far I had come, and where I was going--

2 COMMENTS:

kittrean tanner said...

I never come here. I thought I would stop by for a visit.....Different here than our world of banter in the 'other place'. There is a reverence here. I love you............xooxoxox

Kayla Roussel said...

I love you!! I'm proud of how far you've come and strong you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Posts

Holding Our Family in Prayer

  Dear Frenchie, Today has been an incredibly difficult day. Blake called and asked whether Chloe had contacted me about a flight credit. ...