Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What it feels like to have a Stroke

 

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2013

What it feels like to have a Stroke


When you hear of someone having a TIA, this is a mini-stroke:
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a "mini-stroke" from a temporary blockage. Although a TIA doesn't cause permanent brain damage, it may cause stroke warning signs, which may last minutes or even hours. Think of this as a warning sign you shouldn't ignore.

On Friday, July21st I got up and told Eric I was getting a migraine headache. I went to work at Us Airways, and the headache got more intense, and my speech was slurred. I was embarrassed to speak on the phone with passengers because it sounded like I was stuttering. I was trying to get the words out; I knew exactly what I wanted to say, but the brain and the mouth were not communicating with each other.  I take great pride in the fact that I have a very good record with Us Airways not calling in sick or never being late since the day I started. --To most people, it's no big deal, but for me, it's an accomplishment.  Well on this day, July 21st, my headache continued as I spoke with passengers, I took migraine medicine and nothing was working, I simply packed up all my things and left.  On my way home Kaitlyn called and wanted to know if I would like to go to a movie with her and Brian and Blake, I remember that my speech was slurred, but did not think it was as bad as my kids were making it sound.
I drove to the wrong place. By the time I got to where Kailtyn was the right side of my face was completely numb--Blake called Eric, and he told him to get me to the closest ER.  I said "no, I'm fine I just have a headache and need to lay down" Blake then drove me to my primary care doctor who immediately told Blake to get me to the ER asap.  I cannot explain how frustrating it is to want to communicate. Still, the words were not coming out--I was confused and disoriented--The ER doctor was really upsetting me because he was asking about my thyroid, and I was trying to explain it to him. But he kept on telling me I must be confused, that my thyroid was incapable of going from hyper to hypo or the other way around--he said it was physically impossible--NO IT IS NOT--especially if you have Hashimoto's-- I was diagnosed with it a year ago.  I was sent home that night and told to see my neurologist at Mayo asap. I did on the following Monday. I took the films from the ER, plus the films from my last MRI and the new one the doctor did at Mayo, and it was confirmed a TIA.  The stroke I had was an ischemic stroke caused by a blood clot.  A hemorrhagic stroke is caused by bleeding in the brain. Most people die from a hemorrhagic stroke.  Stroke is the 3rd leading cause of death behind heart disease and cancer. If you think someone has had a stroke have them, say a simple sentence for you, raise their hands above their head, and ask them to smile. Call 911 if they have a problem doing any of these.
I have a family history of strokes from my father's side of the family.  To be honest, I have had the right side of my face go numb so many times since my late 20s, but I never thought anything about it.  Since I've had cancer, I am alerted to everything that happens in my body, I'm not paranoid, but I do react when something does not go away.  
I now take medicine daily to help with the TIA's. I have had a couple since that day, but nothing serious.  I think the scariest part of all this, is me driving while this was all going on.  I also did not realize I had left an hour early from work, I have never done anything like that in my life, and did not realize I had done it until I returned to work a few days later--My manager, knowing what had happened to me was so great to just erase that little error from my file--I love working for US Airways they have always been really good with me.  
Although it was a scary event, I'm glad I had my family to help take care of me and had previously told them if any of these warnings happened no matter what I said, that they were to get me to the nearest 
ER--now I know that Mayo has a stroke unit, and if it happens again, I will be heading there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Posts

Holding Our Family in Prayer

  Dear Frenchie, Today has been an incredibly difficult day. Blake called and asked whether Chloe had contacted me about a flight credit. ...