Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Day In My Life At Mayo Clinic

 I left the house this morning at 9:30 to make the drive to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale.

Eric and I went to the 3rd floor to check in at 10:30, it was a reception area much like a bank, you wait in line until the next teller is available to check you in. We filled out a ton of papers, (you know so the insurance can get their money) we were walked back to the breast clinic, where we went into a room and waited for the nurse to come in and ask a ton of questions, finally we were able to see the Surgical Oncologist, her name is Dr.Pockaj (pronounced Pochki) I was impressed with her knowledge, we spoke with her for about 45 minutes.
Then I was handed a Patient Itinerary:
12:10 Routine Lab Work 5 viles of blood
1:20 Radiology Chest X-Rays 
2:15 check in for the MRI get the IV put in the arm in prep for the MRI
3:15 actual MRI very loud an annoying, sounded like a sledge hammer going off
4:30 Cardiovascular ECG Electrocardiogram
We got home around 6:30 pm
I am exhausted and hoping that I don't have to talk about any of this tonight. Pretty much nothing more is known today, I will be going back to the Mayo on Thursday or Friday (the Dr will call tomorrow to let me know) at that time I will meet with a GYNO for the hysterectomy issues, a genetics Dr. this will help them to know how to proceed with treatment, and the plastics Dr.
Today I am feeling a little overwhelmed knowing what I am facing, it was good to move forward though.  
My sister will call my mom to find out about any cancer on her side of the family that may help the genetics specialist. I don't think we necessarily need that information to get the answers we need, but she will ask anyway. 
I am happy to be home with my family, to relax tonight and not to think about the cancer...not sure I can do that, but I am sure going to try tonight. I love my husband, he is a trooper taking me to and from my appointment today, he had a lot of questions for the Dr and I appreciated him for that, because I don't always remember what I want to ask, but he wrote it all down. Tomorrow is a new day, and one day closer to this being over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Posts

Holding Our Family in Prayer

  Dear Frenchie, Today has been an incredibly difficult day. Blake called and asked whether Chloe had contacted me about a flight credit. ...