Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Muscles Have Memory

 

TUESDAY, APRIL 20, 2010

Muscles have Memory

Going into this 3rd week of radiation, I am starting to feel the side effects. The fatigue is weird; it feels like something is not right in my mind. It felt like my equilibrium is off, and my head is fuzzy. Fatigue is different than being tired.
I am still dealing with the neuropathy in my legs, but I think I have learned to just live with it for now. When I am through with radiation, I can see a naturopathic doctor. Eric contacted one that he knows, and he said it is best to wait because most Naturopathic doctors use a lot of antioxidants. At the same time, I was told many use any antioxidants or vitamins. It was explained to me that during radiation, all of my cells are being zapped, the good and the bad; if I am feeding the good ones with antioxidants, it will interfere with the radiation therapy.
Yesterday I started back at the gym; I took a cycling class. When I finished cycling, I could feel that my muscles remembered my workouts a year ago. I am told that muscles have Memory. As I cycled tonight, I got a little teary-eyed. I hope I can continue through my radiation. The radiation techs told me to take it slow and not to overdo it. That was so hard; all my cycling friends were there on the same bikes, in the front row. I got on that bike right next to them and had a hard time not taking off and pushing myself. I was cycling 2 classes a day, plus either a weight class or another cardio class, usually two-two and half hours a day 6 days a week, as much as I want to be able to do all that again, I know it will take time, and I have to listen to what my body is telling me. I promised my doctor I would stop if I got too tired and fatigued. He felt tired of me asking, "can I go back to the gym?" So, I am taking it slow and trying to be grateful for what I can do and not focus on what I cannot do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Posts

Holding Our Family in Prayer

  Dear Frenchie, Today has been an incredibly difficult day. Blake called and asked whether Chloe had contacted me about a flight credit. ...